Days 47-49 -- Getting a Tad Bit Ahead of Myself

Last night, while laying in bed trying to fall asleep, I had what I thought was a GLORIOUS and terrific idea!  Immediately, I leaned over to Ted, who lay there pretty much fast asleep (guess a day of working in the yard will do that to ya), and woke his butt up, knowing I'd only get him to agree to my ingenious, yet slightly lofty plan when he was in out of consciousness.

"Hey, babe... How about tomorrow, if it's nice, we head to Blackstone Boulevard.  I can run it twice (6.4 miles), and you can walk Coco (our energetic black lab pup of one year)."

"Mmm hmmm..." he grunted.

Now, I knew that he'd discourage me from running 6.4 miles, especially when I've been averaging 3-4 miles.  It's a bit of a jump, and I know he's concerned about me getting injured by trying to do too much too soon.  So I was happy when he agreed again this morning, after exiting dreamland and that sleepy haze.

So we headed to the Boulevard today, which is a lovely 1.7 miles down, 1.7 miles back.  And that's all I could manage today.  I was exhausted, for some reason.  And although I had EVERY intention of running that thing twice, it just was not happening.  The wind was blowing at my face the whole way back, and as a result, my calves were getting tense and cold.  Not to mention the fact that I'm pretty sure I looked like a penguin trying to walk on ice in the middle of windy Antarctica.  I'd flap my arms, pump them, and still it felt like I wasn't really moving.  I know I was, because I was tiring pretty quickly.  I had to stop more often for a breather and I was cramping.  All in all, not the best conditions to attempt a long run. 

The athlete in me was pissed I "gave up," knowing I probably could have pushed myself through to the 6.4.  But at what cost?  Would that have made running later this week a serious challenge?  Would I have pulled something?  Who knows!  I'm trying not to get too down on myself, and am trying to remember those times when running 1 mile outdoors seemed like a serious challenge.  And now 3.4 has become the new norm!  I've got to try and stay focused on all the things I can do now that seemed impossible a year ago, six months ago, even three weeks ago.  And it's a struggle for someone like me who, afer meeting one goal, sets another huge goal immediately thereafter.  But I'm trying.  What can I say -- I'm a work in progress!

Well... here comes the part I dread each and every week -- "time to get on that scale," as Ali from The Biggest Loser would say.  But this week, I'm pretty psyched to fill you all in. 

Today's weight: 244.0!!!!!!
Total weight lost this week: 4.6 pounds!
Total weight lost: 9.8 pounds!!!!!  Wahooo!!!
The best part is, I'm not starving all the time.  I haven't stopped eating all the things I loved so dearly.  And while working out is hard to fit into my schedule and yes, it sucks at times, I'm not broken, walking with a limp, or dead :-).  I'm doing this, in a completely natural way.  And it's awesome!!!!

So how'd all of you do this week?  Let me know!  And keep fighting the good fight!

Nicole's Daily Menu
Breakfast
Multigrain Cheerios with 1% milk
Babybel Light Cheese Round
Snack
None (was out running and woke up late anyway)
Lunch
1 hot dog in a hot dog bun with mustard
Snack
1 slice of homemade carrot cake (at a birthday party)
Dinner
Ziti with grilled chicken
Broccoli (or green beans, perhaps?  We'll see who wins in the Battle of the Veggies at the Ekholm Casa tonight!)

0 comments:

Post a Comment