Days 45 &46 -- Just Keep Running... Just Keep Running

On Tuesday, I believe I was being a whiny bitch and complaining about how much my shins hurt.  And they did.  A lot. 

Today I'm singing a different tune.  Ya know that part in Finding Nemo where Dori swims while singing "just keep swimming, just keep swimming..."  Yea, well that was my motto for the past two days.  Except, substitute the word running for swimming.  Well, that little saying was quite convenient when I was hustling my ass up and down Blackstone Boulevard yesterday and today.  Every time I wanted to quit, I just sang in my head "Just keep running... Just keep running."  And I did!!!  And I didn't fall over, drop dead, or find my legs buckling underneath me.  Surprise, surprise!!!

Now, I know the image of me singing a Pixar movie tune, with my own lyrics, probably puts me on par with most five year-olds.  But I'm OK with that.  I mean, who cares what I say, or how crazy I look when I'm talking to myself while running, so long as it works?  I sure don't. 

Yesterday, after work I met up with my fellow Team Challenge Half-Marathoners in training for our first mid-week run.  I had the option of running 4 miles, or 3.2, and considering how my shins were throbbing just walking around the office all day in my boots, I opted for the 5K distance.  As I pushed myself up and down that gravel path, I kept thinking about the half-marathon coming up in three short months (eek!) and how badly I want this.  How badly I want to be able to accomplish this goal of completing the race and how badly I want to lose this weight.  It all gave me that extra umph I needed to power through the run.

And I killed it!  I shaved another two minutes off my time, finishing at 39 minutes!  Wahoo!!!!  Excuse me for a moment while I gloat (uh hmmm... John!!!).  :-) 

And while my shins were sore, and I had a tad bit of trouble walking to my car after, I was thankful I went for the run.  It was the furthest distance I'd ever run outdoors (in a non-race setting).  And I was so hyped about finishing it, that I decided I'd repeat the route/run tonight.  Yes, that's right.  I ran 6.4 miles, outside, over the course of 24 hours.  And I ran tonight's run in 39 minutes again.  Hell yea!!!  (I am soooo ok with that being my new time!!!)  I can't wait for my next outdoor run, either. It probably won't happen until Saturday morning, but I'm psyched!  My legs are itching to get out there and kick up some sand! 

So how is everyone else doing with their workouts???  Anyone else care to gloat?  Feel free!  This is, after all, a Designated Gloating Zone.  So go ahead, be proud of yourself, and let the rest of us congratulate you, too!

OK... time to go watch Biggest Loser with the hubby on the DVR, while doing 125 crunches.  Thanks again Nicole S.  I'm sooo not loving you right now.

Nicole's Daily Menu
Breakfast
Multigrain Cheerios with 1% milk
Babybel Light Cheese Round
Snack
Chobani Strawberry Yogurt
Lunch
Campbell's Select Harvest Italian-Style Vegetable
2 Plain Rice Cakes with Babybel French Onion Spreadable Cheese Wedge
20 Mini Pretzels
Diced Peaches
Snack
Sliced Strawberries
Kashi TLC Honey & Oats Granola Bar
Dinner
Chicken quesadilla
Green Beans
Dessert
Neopolitan ice cream :-\

2 comments:

Rachel said...

On Tuesday, I ran/walked 3.2 miles outside.

1. That's the farthest I've ever gone.
2. That's the first time I went outside.
3. I was really proud of myself for finishing in under an hour. (50 minutes)
4. Yay!

Anonymous said...

Did 3.6 miles on Treadmill last nite. 2 miles in 25:30 and 3.1 in 41 and 3.6 in 50 (walked 1/2 mile at the end). Not a personal best but have logged in 100 miles since Jan. 1st!!! YAY!
Nice job Nicole, keep up the good work. Let me know if you want to do a 5K in May with me.

Post a Comment